It's great to be back. I'm afraid that I'll never find another environment, or group of people, that compares to what we have at Olin. So I guess I'll be as positive as I can about that prospect, and resolve to enjoy the hell out of this year.

Classes are looking great this semester.

We found out a few days ago what our SCOPE (senior capstone) projects would be, and who our teams are. I'm on a fantastic team with Kate B, Julie, Adam, Nick, and Katie. I'm incredibly excited about the company we'll be working with; Vision Agrobotics. It's a new company (don't even bother Googling it) founded by a guy whose family has been in the orchard business for generations. This guy has dedicated his life to bringing great food to the world. He goes around and gets samples of every kind of citrus fruit on the planet, and then cross breeds them and grafts plants together to create "super trees" that produce incredible amounts of (reportedly) very tasty fruit. We've been told that Clementines are a specialty of his, so perhaps we'll be getting samples to test. This guy is really into using technology to optimize his orchards, and is a potential font of unlimited future SCOPE projects. For our particular project, we'll be working on a Kubota tractor used to pull the pesticide-spraying stuff (It's hard to find people willing to actually drive the tractors however, since being dressed in a Tyvek suit and driving 3 miles per hour in 110 degree heat is not, apparently, that appealing). So we're going to make the tractor drive itself. I'm so happy to be working for a company that's not evil. Oh, and while currently the orchards are using commercial pesticides, they're trying to move to organic pesticides/fungicides and other natural methods of deterring insects. So that also makes me happy.

My Olin Self Study (OSS) will hopefully have something to do with circuits, but I'm not sure how that all works yet.

Discrete Math seems fun so far, and my team (Ann Marie and Cheryl) seems to work well together. I like the way Dr. Adams is running the class. It's so nice to have a class go smoothly.

I'm cross-registered at Brandeis in a class called "Perception" in the Pyschology department. I'm not sure how good it will be. But I'll keep an open mind about it.

Some pictures, better late than never:

My room:

room 2

room 1

Our suite:

suite lounge 2

Outing club trip (Zealand Falls):

oc trip 2

oc trip 1

Comments

Popular Posts