A long day, but a good day

I've brought my laundry down to the house to wash. The six-year-old is showing me how to use the washer, and the two-year-old wanders over to watch, thumb in mouth. With her free hand, she picks up a pair of my underwear from my pile of laundry and holds it at arm's length, eyeing it critically before declaring, "me like these."

It's been a long day, prepping for market in below-freezing temperatures. I bagged a lot of greens, with the bags freezing to my latex gloves as I went along. When we finished, around 6:30, I went back to the house to collect my laundry. They don't have a dryer, so I needed to hang it up back at the corn crib. Gabrielle invited me to stay for dinner and I accepted. I'm doing pretty well so far with the solitude of the corn crib, but I definitely enjoy spending time with their family. There wasn't much I could do to help, so I sat down on the couch with the three girls and read them some stories. I love this--three little warm bodies sitting on and around me, leaning in close and paying rapt attention to the book in my hands. Each page leads to additional commentary by the girls. The oldest makes sound effects, the youngest points out animals in the pictures and says things that I can't quite understand, and the middle child is mostly quiet, prone to occasionally breaking into a big smile and giving boa constrictor hugs.

After dinner--time to head back home. It's now too dark to see my way on the path, so I ask to borrow a flashlight. The bin with my wet laundry requires both hands, so I hold the flashlight in my teeth as I make my way back up the path through the woods. Once at home, I stand outside under millions of stars and hang my frozen laundry.

Comments

Cheryl said…
I like that you have a blue bin in one of your pictures. They're so . . . familiar. Also, I feel dumb for asking, but what is a corn crib FOR?
Sarah said…
Yes, the blue bins have served me well. I still have four or five of them. I'm hoping they're mouse-proof. A corn crib is for drying corn, so it's basically a shed with a roof and walls of slats with big gaps between them. It has been more or less converted into a house over the past decade.

Popular Posts