attractive nuisances

Spurred by the big apartment fire a few blocks from my house, I've started looking into getting renters insurance. Last night I went to a few different websites to get quotes, and on Nationwide's site, I ran into this question:
Is the property free from attractive nuisances, Swimming Pools and/ or Trampolines?

With no explanation of the intriguing term, "attractive nuisances," I thought it might perhaps refer to good-looking, irresponsible housemates (an insurance risk for sure, right?). Two questions earlier, they asked if the property is located within 1000 feet of coastal water, and there was a link to a definition of "coastal water," which made me think that "attractive nuisances" must be a common term that everybody knows. Regardless, I had to look it up (attractive nuisance doctrine). Still, I'm kind of partial to my initial interpretation.

My sister just left yesterday after visiting me for four days, which was really nice (the visiting, not the leaving). The weather was pleasant enough for being outside, so we did quite a bit of walking. We spent some time at the zoo, where we were amused by this display in the reptile house of a skull choking down a loaf of bread, next to a sign that said "How to Swallow Something Bigger Than Your Head":

How to swallow something bigger than your head

Later, we walked up into Rock Creek Park, planning to do some Andy Goldsworthy-esque piece of art. We especially like his work with beautiful fall leaves, but it being March, we had a more limited color palette. We had fun assembling a design out of acorns, pine needles, and moss:

inspired by Andy Goldsworthy

Sisters:

IMG_1464

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful sister portrait! I saw documentary Rivers and Tides, your artist. Wonderful. More SarahBeth BethSarah art please. gh
Unknown said…
That's a really great picture of you.

Popular Posts