sweet, sweet butter

At the farmers market on Sunday I bought a pint of whole milk. After a lifetime of skim, I can't bring myself to drink whole milk, but this is the first time that milk has been sold at the market, so I wanted to support it. Also, the guy told me that if I let it sit overnight in the fridge, it would separate and the milk on the bottom would be lower fat. So I left it in the fridge for a couple of days, and then remembered that you can make butter by putting cream in a jar and shaking it. Perfect! So tonight I went to go harvest my cream. The milk had indeed separated, and I could see that the stuff on top was pretty thick. But the neck of the bottle was too narrow to fit a spoon, so I did my best to pour off the cream. I don't think it worked very well. So I have a partial bottle of non-homogenized milk with cream, and a very agitated jar of cream with milk.

edit: No! I have a jar of milk with a big lump (and by big I mean like a tablespoon) of butter in it! Sweet!

butter

Comments

Unknown said…
This is another excellent use for a gravy separator, which you can get at most dollar stores, or a cooking store if you want something fancy.

(you found a source of nonhomogenized milk! I'm jealous. You can make cheese at home, and have it be awesome. Let me know if you want a recipe.)
Anonymous said…
Sarah, I don't know if you want a cheese recipe, but I do!

M
Sarah said…
Thanks! I'll give it a try.
Unknown said…
whoa, I was taught they added dye to butter to make it yellow.
- Beth
Sarah said…
I hadn't heard that, but I know they add dye to margarine. Actually, if I'm remembering correctly, when margarine was first produced, they were not allowed to add dye, because the dairy industry didn't want people to be fooled into thinking it was butter.

Didn't your class make butter in preschool or kindergarten?

Popular Posts