restlessness

A couple of weeks ago I had a talk with my two bosses and let them know that I was planning to move on from my job within the next 6 months or so. It's been a good job, and I care about the organization, so I wanted to give them lots of lead time to find a replacement. I was nervous about approaching them about this, but I think it went well, and I feel pretty good about it.

What am I doing next? I don't know. I have vague ideas. I want to learn to do lots of things. Like farming, making cheese, wiring a house, building furniture, fixing plumbing, taxidermy?, etc... What I would like to do, ideally, is a series of apprenticeships over a few years. For example, there's a boat shop in Maine that takes in 10 apprentices per year and teaches them to build wooden boats and furniture. It's too late to apply for this fall, but this might be a possibility for 2009. If you have ideas for other cool things I should learn to do, or helpful contacts, please get in touch!

Comments

Unknown said…
Organic farming abroad:
http://www.wwoof.org/
Mel said…
There's also http://www.shelterinstitute.com/, though it costs money instead of paying you - I'd like to take that class someday, as knowing how to build a house is awfully useful.
Sarah said…
These are great suggestions--thanks! I've heard of WWOOF before and I might turn to them if I decide to look for an organic farm abroad. I'm going to spend a weekend at an organic farm (the farm for which I sell produce at the farmers market) later this month. I've only glanced at the Shelter Institute site so far, but it looks great. One of my housemates had actually suggested timber framing and I agree; being able to build a house is a useful skill.

Popular Posts