done with farming

A few pictures that don't really make up a coherent post:

This is my tomato-scummy arm after stringing tomatoes (I was wearing gloves):

IMG_2423.JPG

If I don't develop Lyme's Disease as a result of this job, I'll consider myself incredibly lucky. Look how tiny those ticks are! (small dark spot near center of photo):

IMG_2431.JPG

Nice melons, eh?
IMG_2432.JPG

Our heirlooms at market:
IMG_2436.JPG

I did my part to use up the extra tomatoes. I made ketchup and tomato sauce, which is pictured here. It would have been a lot easier if I'd had one big pot:

IMG_2447.JPG

The corn crib has a unique solution for sewage: a worm bin with drainage for liquids. We also put our kitchen compost in there. But when something clogs the drain and the bin floods, nobody wants to dig it out. After almost a month of no toilet, X and I bit the bullet and shoveled it out. It wasn't that disgusting, actually. I guess the worms had been doing a good job, before they all drowned.

IMG_2476.JPG

This is so cool. I only find one or two tomato hornworms each time we pick tomatoes, but they've almost always been visited first by parasitic wasps which lay their eggs in the hornworm. Nature, taking care of business:

IMG_2513.JPG

Beautiful garlic:

IMG_2525.JPG

Earlier today, G called and asked if I'd like to go out to the marsh with the family in their row boat. The water is quite shallow most places, and the girls like to get out and play in the mud:

IMG_2538.JPG

Another adorable little swamp moster, striking a pose:

IMG_2547.JPG

Comments

Joelle said…
They could sell that stuff to The Hair Club for Men!
Beth said…
Haha! I thought that was a man's arm at first.

Popular Posts