next steps

We finished fitting and attaching all of the planks on the peapod, and took it off the jig on Friday. It's very exciting to be moving on to the next stage. Now the boat is right side up and we're putting in some rivets and a few ribs that we couldn't do earlier because the jig was in the way. Today I counted how many rivets are in this boat. 844.

IMG_3576

I found a summer/fall job that I'm pretty excited about. I was looking at farms in the area, and I ended up visiting a creamery that has 30 goats and makes cheese from goat, sheep, and cow milk. It will be way different from working on a vegetable farm, but I'm excited about learning to make cheese. When I visited last week, they were in the middle of kidding, and there were already 40 kids (each goat has 2-3 kids). Some of them were just a day old. So, so cute and soft. Most of the kids will be sold for meat or as pets--the creamery will be keeping about 6 of the females.

Comments

Joelle said…
How exciting! When does your apprenticeship end? Do people (will you) go back for a second year?
Sarah said…
The last day is June 12. It's just a one year thing--I'll work at the creamery into the fall (November, I think) and then I need to figure out my next thing.
Anonymous said…
The boat is beautiful. Glad you found such an interesting job for the summer.

mo

Popular Posts