babies and barns

This week, we're mucking out the barn. It was last done in March, but I guess it builds up pretty quickly. It actually doesn't smell too bad most of the time, more like ammonia than anything else. But there are some sulfurous pockets. I think it's about 2 1/2 feet deep in the worst spots. Here's E, shoveling some out the window:

E mucking out the barn

We quickly built up some very tall piles outside the windows:

big piles from mucking out the barn

I tried to get the goats excited about trampling down these piles, but mostly they just wanted to chew on my pitchfork:

everybody likes my pitchfork

Goats are so curious that it's hard to get work done when they're around. I went back into the barn after milking to try to shovel some more, but they were all hanging out inside to stay out of the sun. And they're not good about taking hints. So I'll shovel more tomorrow.

hanging out in the barn

I also spent a lot of time with the kids this morning. First I visited Toast and Tortilla, who were hanging out by the hay feeder. Toast likes to lay in the feeder:

Toast in the hay feeder

And Tortilla enjoyed sucking on my thumb:

Tortilla, sucking my thumb

Then I went over to the pen with the remaining six kids. I knew that we would be moving them in with the big girls today, so I wanted to spend a little quality time with them. Here's Rye, with her big bunny ears:

Rye, who has bunny ears

Here are the kids after we moved them. Toast is guarding her perch, while the others mill about, scared and confused:

Toast guarding her hay feeder from the other babies

Meanwhile, the other two babies, Jellyroll and Petit Madeline, were ganging up on Josephine and trying to both nurse at the same time:

an awkward nursing moment

On Tuesday there was a tour group here. It was a food writer and photographer from the Boston Globe, plus a couple of their friends. They took a lot of pictures, and maybe we'll make an appearance in the July 18th issue. Here's the cheese plate that we served them (and a pretty good representation of our cheeses):

several of our cheeses

Comments

Anonymous said…
absolutely beautiful cheese and I love how you get to know the goats as individuals.

keep having fun! JP

Popular Posts