Beth and Clayton drove to Norman today, and we had our "Christmas Eve dinner" tonight (meaning we ate bread with cheese fondue, which is our tradition). Beth had taken some pictures of their house, which she showed to us. I just think it's so cool that they have a house. It's a tiny house, but it's just the two of them living there. And the price was right ($14,000--this is Oklahoma). There's a kitchen, a bathroom, a living room, and a bedroom. It has wood floors and nice-looking cabinetry in the kitchen, and they've already done some work on the various rooms. I'm jealous, I think. I want a house, although I'm still skeptical of this whole skipping-college idea.

Beth got a job at Albertson's, decorating cakes. She's really good at decorating cakes, and I think she'll do well at the job. I don't know what her long-term plans are, though. Right now she's not thinking about college, but I hope she does take some classes sometime in the future. She really seems like an artist, to me, and I don't think she's made much art since the wedding. Am I just projecting my expectations onto her? I know that college isn't The Answer for everyone. She's embarking on a different life than mine, and a different life than the one my parents pictured for the two of us. It's hard to know when it's okay to offer advice... some of the choices that she and Clayton are making are not ones that I would make, but that doesn't mean they're wrong, I guess.

I am a little concerned about this business that Clayton has gotten involved in. It's called Quixtar, and he tried to explain it but none of us really understood how it works. A Google search turned up mostly scathing comments from people who have been involved in Quixtar and had negative experiences. It's repeatedly described as a pyramid scheme. Clayton is very positive about it, and especially seems impressed with the people he's met who are involved in Quixtar. He says they are Godly men, very honorable. Maybe everything will turn out fine... I hope they don't get burned. Who knows, maybe I miss out on opportunities because I'm unwilling to take risks like signing up with a company like this.

Comments

Popular Posts