Reba visited me! She's on her way from San Francisco to North Carolina, via San Diego, Norman, Kansas City, and Kentucky. It's so good to meet up with a friend who you haven't seen in a long time, and have everything just feel natural. She gave me a yellow Smorkin Labbit that is about an inch and a half long, which I think is just adorable. She also told me that her niece and nephew love the CD that I sent to her (Reba) a couple of years ago. Apparently she had to leave it at their house when she left because the kids wouldn't part with it. It had a lot of Moxy Fruvous and Arrogant Worms on it, which I guess do make pretty catchy, non-profane songs that kids would like. So before she left we burned another CD for them. I've never met Reba's niece and nephew, but last Christmas they made a stocking for me and sent it to me at Olin, so I have warm feelings towards them.

It snowed a little bit last night--the first snow of the winter. The kids next door were really excited, and this leads me to wonder: do many 49 year-old women get kids ringing the doorbell and asking "can you come out and play?" My mom is so great with kids. I really appreciate the time that we spent together working in the church nurseries (in California and in Tulsa). I feel like it gives me some insight into how she must have interacted with me and my sister as we were growing up. And it gives me ideas for how I can interact with kids: ways I can play with them, and ways I can get them to do something that they don't want to do (eat a bite of pasta, put on their shoes, apologize for hitting someone).

Comments

Anonymous said…
We miss you bunches! Love ya!

~Jared N Trav

Popular Posts