my room stays warm though

Our kitchen is so very cold. I can see daylight through the cracks around the door, and can feel cold air blowing through the gaps around the window, and from under the baseboard on the exterior wall (??). I think I'm averaging around 3 mugs of tea per day, just because every time I have to use the kitchen, my first impulse is to turn on some heating element. So for breakfast I get my cereal and tea and go huddle next to the heater in the dining room. For dinner I make some tea, then make food, then make tea and do dishes. I never really liked tea, but it's definitely grown on me. I don't mind this routine.

Went to a conference on Friday and Saturday in Bethesda. I didn't read the information very carefully before registering, and it turned out to be mostly engineering students participating in a particular international internship program, but the sessions were still interesting. By chance I sat down at a table with the three MIT students who were in attendance, and it turned out that one of them knew some Olin people from a vehicle design summit over the summer. I also got to speak briefly with a guy from the One Laptop Per Child project, and arranged to visit when Ann Marie and I are in Boston this weekend. I'm pretty excited about that.

We have snow in DC. Yesterday the federal government shut down at 2, and many other employers followed their lead (I got emails from four of my housemates to the effect of "wooo snow day! see you guys at home!" Unfortunately, AED did not let out early). I think there have only been 2 inches of snow total, but I haven't seen a single snow plow, so everything is still icy/slushy.

I've found that slacks that are appropriate for work do a very poor job of blocking the wind. How do other people keep their legs warm while walking or waiting for the bus? I have a long wool pea coat, but the wind goes right through it, so I usually just wear a jacket. Suggestions welcomed.

Comments

Mikell said…
I like wool socks and knee-high boots (wearing them under jeans helps. And these are hooker boots, not Uggs or whatever). One of my coworkers just wears ski legging type things under her slacks and says that helps a lot.
Sarah said…
Oh, how I wish I could wear jeans. I have been wearing boots, but not tall boots. They do help keep my ankles warm, and my feet dry. I've considered wearing long undewear or tights, but I think I'd have to take them off at work to avoid overheating.
barefootjoles said…
Silk long underwear. They are thin enough that they don't feel bulky, and add a nice layer of insulation. You can even take them off once you get to work...they roll up in a convient little ball that will fit in any purse.

Popular Posts