cherry blossoms and sunrises

For whatever reason, I decided that I wanted to make it down to see the cherry blossoms this week, but I really didn't want to deal with all the tourists. There was only one way that I could think of doing that, so this morning my housemate Lorin and I got up at 5:15 and rode our bikes down to Hains Point (a ~2 mile peninsula that sticks out into the Potomac). The entire peninsula is lined with cherry trees, and the road was closed so there were no cars. We saw a guy fishing, and a couple of people on bikes, but other than that it was empty and quiet.

I took a lot of pictures but I assume most people don't need to see more than one or two pictures of cherry blossoms or sunrises, so I'll restrain myself.

IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0452.JPG

IMG_0477.JPG

At about 7:15 when I was heading to work and passing the Tidal Basin, there were already lots of people milling around. I stopped and took a couple of pictures of the Jefferson Memorial.

IMG_0483.JPG

... and one more picture from this morning, of the much-loved sculpture at Hains Point, "The Awakening." Someone has left a gift of a glove:

if the glove don't fit...

Comments

Kevin T said…
Great shots!
Anonymous said…
The pictures are beautiful! We had a picture in our home town newspaper that looked almost exactly like one of your pictures. They said how many zillions of people would descend on DC to see the trees. It also said the trees were a gift from the Japanese a long time ago and said their age. I don't remember now, but they are quite old.
Sarah said…
I'm not sure how old the trees are either. I heard that a few years ago, after Japan's cherry trees were damaged by a storm or something, DC provided them with clippings from the cherry trees that were originally gifts from Japan.
Janet said…
i need more photos of cherry blossoms and sunrises! i mean i'll look on your flickr =). miss you and hope all is well, looking forward to catching up sometime. and--Hey are you going back to Boston around Olin graduation time?
Sarah said…
My current thinking is that I'm not going up for graduation, but I'm conflicted about that. It would be great to see you and everyone.

Popular Posts