the questionable perks of living in DC

Tomorrow morning I'm going to go hear the president speak on international development. I have this opportunity thanks to my boss, who is president of the U.S. Global Leadership Campaign, which is hosting the event. Mixed feelings about attending... on one hand, I can't turn down a chance to see the president. On the other hand, that's what I told myself five years ago when, as a City Year corps member, I had the opportunity to usher at an event where Bush was fundraising for some local candidate. After being bitched out repeatedly by rude rich people who were upset that they couldn't sit any closer to the stage, I sat with the other corps members and listened to Bush talk. I don't even remember what he talked about, but I do remember that when I got back to the office, it took about an hour before I calmed down and stopped crying enough to get any work done. And just think how much less I disliked the man in 2001 than I do now.

Comments

Popular Posts