both real and American

Apparently the McCains appeared on Rachel Ray's show recently, and when asked about their favorite TV shows, Sen. McCain replied, "we like the normal kind of shows that are popular."

Aside from being kind of funny and sad, I think it reflects how politicians, I would say Republicans in particular, but really, politicians from both major parties, feel the need to portray themselves as "normal" Americans. I don't get this. Apparently some people like Sarah Palin because they feel they can identify with her. Again, I don't get this. It's not that I don't understand how people identify with her (or with McCain), it's that I don't understand how this makes her more electable. I don't want to be governed by people like me. I want to be governed by people a lot smarter than I am, because I sure as hell don't think I'm qualified to be president. Sometimes while I'm eating dinner, I watch Project Runway or Law and Order. I really, really hope that Obama is not watching Project Runway. If he has time to watch TV, I hope he watches something smart. Like news documentaries. I want my president to be elite. We have 300 million people in this country, and I think our leader should be the cream of the crop. I guess that makes me elitist.

And I'm upset about what we're told about "real," "normal" Americans. If I don't live in a small town, am I less of an American? If I don't believe in a God as defined by any established religion, is that un-American? How about the fact that I take public transportation to work, and think that America has too many cars and that gas is probably still too cheap? Can Real Americans be vegetarian? Can a Real American have a white collar job? I have one credit card and I'm not interested in going shopping to save the economy. Sorry, America. Maybe if I were Real.

Sometimes I find myself feeling sheepish about these things, and I'm not sure why. Maybe I buy into the idea that there is a definition of what it means to be a Real American, and I know that much about my life does not fit into that definition. But I'm living my life in a way that makes sense to me, and I love my country in the way you love your family--even when I don't like America, I love America. So I am an American, as much a real American as someone who lives in a small town, goes to church every Sunday, and enjoys hunting.

Comments

Unknown said…
Wow. May I direct people here, to witness the awesome?
Sarah said…
I don't know if it's really the awesome, but sure, if you want.
chrismurf said…
Amen. (in a non-denominational sort of way)
Anonymous said…
have you found this?

http://mudflats.wordpress.com/

excellent commentary and comments from an Alaskan blogger working to get the truth out
Jennifer Jo said…
Sarah, you are right on. Keep writing.

-JJ

Ps. I like your quote at the top!

Popular Posts