I finally brought my camera to the market

Here's where I work, and some of the people I work with, in the calm before the market opens.

One of my housemates, who has started working at the market with me, pinting okra. We share hair.
IMG_1791

Pinting potatoes.
IMG_1793

Beautiful peppers. I like to put them in rainbow order, but Heinz doesn't. I think it's because the sweet peppers (red and yellow) are priced differently from the rest (green, lilac, lime-not pictured) and if yellow is next to lime, people get confused about where the boundary is. The green leafy bundles up above the peppers are celery. The growing season is shorter here, so they don't get very big.
IMG_1794

Another aesthetically pleasing table. Green and purple yard-long beans, lima beans, string beans, and Asian and Italian eggplant.
IMG_1795

The former girlfriend of a former housemate, who now also works at the market. It's a popular job. A few heirloom tomatoes are visible in the front right of the picture, and the watermelons are in the back. At this distance it looks like we only have two varieties, but we actually have nine.
IMG_1796

I was only able to take one picture once the market bell had rung. It soon got busy. Two weeks ago set a new record for the amount of money taken in, and last week we broke that record. This week wasn't quite as busy, but we almost sold out of watermelon, which are expensive. Here's the view from behind the counter. Underneath you can see the brown paper bag that holds the bread that we munch on while we work. We get herbed goat cheese from the guy next to our stand, and make little bite-sized sandwiches with a basil leaf and a wedge of tomato.
it begins

I took home a lot of eggplant today, even though I don't like it much. I was going to use the recipe for Baba Ganouj in the Moosewood Cookbook, which calls for 2 cloves of garlic per eggplant. I compared this with Gabrielle's recipe, which calls for 1 BULB of roasted garlic per eggplant. Guess which recipe I used?

Comments

Popular Posts