Olin Away Experience Proposal

I plan to intern with Grupo Fenix, which is a Nicaragua-based non-profit whose goal is to “research, develop and apply appropriate, renewable energy technologies in Nicaragua, and also to assist other countries in Central America in this work.” The description on their website of the organization’s objectives greatly appeals to me:

“To conduct practical research into appropriate energy technologies, to support community self-determination and local responsibility for the projects, to increase the technical skill level and employability of local people, to improve health and living standards of families and communities, and to preserve natural resources.”

Based on the time that I’ve spent in Nicaragua, these objectives do indeed address many of the major issues facing Nicaraguans. I especially appreciate the emphasis that Grupo Fenix places on using locally available materials, even when it would be easier to order parts from the U.S.. They want their solar ovens and photovoltaic cells to be buildable and repairable by the rural communities in which they are installed. They shouldn’t be dependent on parts or technicians that have to be imported from the U.S. or any other country.

Other things that I like about this organization: it has been around for a while, which means they’ve had the chance to realize many of their objectives. They are able to provide microloans to families who want to purchase photovoltaic lighting. They train land mine victims to build and install solar panels, in combination with a land mine education program led by former Sandinista and Contra soldiers. Also, when I visited Grupo Fenix’s office last summer, I talked to interns who were working on cool projects like altering the shape of LEDs to make them suitable for area lighting. Another thing that interests me are the constraints placed on the engineers and interns in Grupo Fenix. Obviously they don’t have access to Olin’s machine shop—they can’t crank out a bunch of prototypes quickly and cheaply. They can’t buy new circuit components whenever they need them. In fact, when I was in their office, they showed me a wall of bins full of obsolete (in the U.S.), enormous capacitors, inductors, and resistors. These are the components that are available in Nicaragua, so it’s necessary to use them if the product is to be repaired in Nicaragua.

Please see attached pages for syllabi for each course of study that I intend to undertake.

I have tried to plan out my time commitments so that they correspond with Olin’s definition of credit hours (1 unit = 3 hours of work per week). I will be working in the office Monday through Friday, for at least 30 hours a week (Grupo Fenix’s requirement).

I’m asking for 4 design depth credits and 1 elective credit for the Design and Development in Nicaragua course since it directly addresses the task that Grupo Fenix has asked me to work on: designing a database. This will consume most of my time in the office. There may not be much that I can work on when I’m out of the office, so I intend to spend at least 3 hours a day (most likely more) in the office, Monday through Friday, working on the database design and associated activities.

For the ethnography class, I’m asking 4 AHS credits. I plan to spend an average of 1.5 hours working on this in the office each day, and about an hour at home, typing my notes, transcribing interviews, and completing deliverables.

I’m asking for 3 elective credits for the Spanish class. I anticipate that the nature of this class will change a lot throughout the semester. While I will eventually need to write documentation in Spanish for the database, my initial tasks are more likely to be oral (conducting interviews and talking with coworkers). I plan to use time at home to study appropriate books and complete assignments for Dr. Mandrell. This should take about 2 hours per work day, although much of the work for this class could potentially be done on weekends. Although this class will specifically focus on communication in the workplace, my overall Spanish skills will be improved through conversation with my homestay family and with Nicaraguan friends.

After discussing my plans with my adviser and with various faculty, including the ones who will be supervising me, I am confident that my three courses of study have academic merit. My activities will be different than they would be if I were simply doing an internship (not for credit). There will be a lot more conscious reflection and study, and I will be making connections between disciplines that I’ve already studied, and building skills to use in future projects.

This course of study will leave me on track to graduate from Olin. Using the previous curriculum, my adviser and I figured out that I would only need to earn 3 elective credits during my Away experience (disregarding the 12 credit requirement). I’m proposing to earn 12 credits: 4 AHS, 4 elective, and 4 design depth. This will fulfill the requirements to be a full-time student.

This internship provides certain opportunities that Olin does not. While Olin emphasizes project-based learning, “real” projects like designing a database for a nonprofit would be a headache to coordinate for large numbers of students. In addition, I will be working in a different office culture and speaking a different language, which is something that Olin can’t provide. There is also the opportunity to do anthropological fieldwork, something that, while we may offer it in the future, is not currently an option at Olin. My studies in Nicaragua will complement and expand on what I’ve already learned at Olin and in life. The Design and Development course uses skills learned in UOCD and Programming, as well as my experience working for a nonprofit and working with a database during my VOP year. The Spanish studies are a continuation of a long commitment that I have had to learning the language and culture. The professional and technical aspects of the language are a branch that I’ve never explored. The Ethnographic Study will be a completely new experience for me. I’ve never studied anthropology before, but after listening to the AHS faculty candidate talks (Caitrin Lynch’s and others), I feel that it could be a valuable addition to the design process, in addition to standing on its own merits.

The experience that I gain in simultaneously working on three different courses and working an internship in the same field I feel will be invaluable when I start to think about my Senior Capstone. Even the process of writing this proposal has made me think about how to take a project that I’m interested in and pull out aspects of it that relate to different disciplines. This Away experience also meshes well with what I currently identify as some of my life goals: being a responsible citizen of the world, doing work that I believe in, and using as many of my skills as possible.


Ethnographic study of Nicaraguan office environment: 4 AHS credits

This course will serve as an introduction to anthropology and ethnography. I will study the office environment of Grupo Fenix using ethnographic methods, following the guidance of Caitrin Lynch. I will learn about the culture using interviews, field notes, physical artifacts, and research. My study will culminate with a 20-25 page report on my findings. Caitrin has previously taught introductory classes similar to this, so we are using her syllabi as a starting point. There are several deliverables that she expects throughout the semester, in addition to a monthly status report of 1-2 pages.

Month

Activities

Deliverables

August

Read material on anthropology, ethnographic methods, culture and technology, and sustainable development

consent forms, status report

Research on Grupo Fenix and Nicaragua in general, solar culture, appropriate technology, possibly gender and technology

September

Observe office culture

sample field notes, research proposal, status report

Take field notes

Determine topic of research, methods to be used, ethical considerations, expected results

Read books on methodology

October

Conduct and analyze interviews

interview assignment, data analysis assignment, status report

Do data analysis on interviews

November

Continue research

status report

December

Continue research

annotated bibliography,

Begin work on final report

status report

January

final report (20-25 pages)





Appropriate design and implementation of a database system: 4 Design depth credits and 1 elective credit

I request approval to count a portion of this experience as a design course that meets the design depth requirement for graduation. The proposed course and the necessary activities and requirements for completion are described below.

This proposal has been reviewed and approved by Benjamin Linder, Lynn Andrea Stein and Allen Downey. Lynn, my academic advisor, will provide advising in computing and human computer interface design. Ben will serve as the Away experience adviser and effectively “teach” the course by providing readings, assignments and review of schedules and deliverables. Allen Downey will provide advising in computing as needed.

The course, titled “Design and Development in Nicaragua,” will cover product development and appropriate technology with an emphasis on usability design. Product development will serve as the organizing academic topic as the experience is essentially one of developing and deploying a product in a non-academic setting. This format also supports in a direct way my professional responsibility to accomplish what I have agreed to do. This course will benefit from and will at times be integrated with the cultural studies course advised by Caitrin Lynch.

The components of the course are expected to be similar to the following product development components: Planning, Management, Needs, Specifications, Concepts, Architecture, Details, Prototyping and Testing.

Readings and advising on development and appropriate technology will be selected around this framework. The course schedule will be dictated by the situation I find myself in once I arrive and will be worked out in the first week. Deliverables will be assigned and reviewed weekly and will be a combination of short essays, reflections and development deliverables such as schedules and prototypes.

I chose to focus on design and appropriate technology. So, not everything that I do will be counted towards this course. There will be a considerable amount of technical skills (such as using database software) that must be learned and then applied that will not be counted. There are also activities that I will have to do for the course that would not otherwise happen in my away experience.




Spanish professional and technical communication: 3 elective credits

This course will focus on the communication skills needed in an office setting. While I am quite comfortable writing essays in Spanish for literature classes, I have never written a business letter, and I realized recently that I don’t know even the basic technical vocabulary that I will need in my internship. I will study conventional forms of addressing coworkers, supervisors, business contacts orally and in writing. I will also study the technical vocabulary necessary to communicate ideas about my work on the database. At the end of my internship, I will be expected to leave behind full documentation of my work and experiences, in both English and Spanish. My methods of study will include reading appropriate books, asking questions of my coworkers and supervisor, listening in on phone calls (with permission), and perhaps reading sample correspondence that Grupo Fenix employees have written.

I will be in contact periodically with Dr. James Mandrell, Professor of Spanish, Brandeis. He will track and assess my progress in the following ways:

1. Speak with me by telephone 4-5 times during the semester.
2. Review 4-5 of my faxes or e-mails in Spanish during the semester.
3. Assess improvement in my language skills at the end of the semester.
4. Review a paper written by me in Spanish when I return.
5. Send a brief assessment to
Rod Crafts for forwarding to relevant Olin faculty.

Comments

Popular Posts