Hope is knowing that something is impossible and then doing it anyway.

This was one of the things that was discussed in church today (Community of Hope in Tulsa, the only church I'm willing to attend). I think that this philosophy of hope is one that COH really manages to live up to. The people there give me hope. I wish that I could go more often, but it's a long drive to make every week.

As you may or may not have heard, two gay Oklahoma couples are filing a lawsuit to challenge the state amendment that just passed. One of the couples, Gay and Sue, and the lawyer, Tim, go to COH, so tonight they invited the other couple, Sharon and Mary, and we blessed them all. That takes guts, to expose yourself and your partner to what I'm sure will be a long, difficult battle with no shortage of personal attacks. It was comforting to be reminded that civil rights are advanced by brave people like these women, and that history is on our side in this sense. We are making progress: in the words of Martin Luther King, Jr., "the arm of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice."

I have to believe that justice will win eventually.

RE: my previous post: I'm not really that good of a person. I'm still angry and frustrated and sometimes feeling hopeless about the results of the election. As satisfying as it would be (in the short term) to go and scream in someone's face about how WRONG they are about how this country should be run, I doubt that I would change any opinions of liberals by doing that. So I am fighting, in my own way. It is HARD for me to convert my anger into something positive, and I don't think it's something I've done much in my life. I'm sure there will be days when I still want to move to Canada, or to boycott Republican-owned businesses, as some have suggested. But in my more sane moments, I truly am convinced that the only way to make this country a better place is to do this hard work of acting constructively, and hopefully this will be enough to keep me going.

Comments

Popular Posts