The Babes
Originally uploaded by Sarah Oh.
Had a very, very nice birthday. Kathy took me to the Wellesley Cheese Shop to pick out some nice cheeses for Friday night... a trip to the Cheese Shop is a gift in and of itself. It's never crowded, so you always get someone giving you their full attention and offering you bits of diffrent kinds of cheese, trying to help you figure out what you like. It's just nice to go into a place where the people are so knowlegeable about what they're selling. I guess in the good old days it must have been like that everywhere, but now it's pretty much limited to small bakeries and the cheese shop (at least in the places that I shop). We ended up getting four different kinds of cheese and then an curry-apricot-cheese spread that was an impulse buy (that we did not regret).

So then there was a nice evening of sitting around and eating bread and cheese and fruit and drinking wine with some of my favorite people. It was definitely my kind of party. We dressed up (because dressing up is fun), but then we all kicked off our shoes to get comfortable. I missed these girls.

We ended the evening at Finale, which is a restaurant in Cambridge specializing in chocolate desserts. It's a fun place to go because the desserts are so artfully arranged (and delicious). It was a good night.

And then today, Kim and Miks came by to deliver a pretty flower (don't know the name, but it looks like a yellow sea anemone). I love random acts of kindness, and I intend to do more of them this semester.

Not much else to report. Of course I have a lot of work, but so far I'm handling it. A couple of things that help: my Wellesley class in "Databases with Web Interfaces," while I'm definitely going to learn new things in it, won't move as fast as Olin classes do. Also, it's nice to be forced to get off campus every week, even if it just means I'm on someone elses campus. And "Six Books that Changed the World" involves a lot of reading, but it's enjoyable reading, so when I need a break from Thermo or "Mechanics of Solids and Structures," I do my Six Books reading. Oh, I picked my sixth book (the first five were chosen by Rob, and the last one is our choice). I'm going to read "The Common Sense Book of Baby and Child Care" by Dr. Benjamin Spock. It's not the first book that occurred to me, but I ordered a 1943 edition and have flipped through it, and it looks readable. Apparently it's the second most bestselling book in the world, after the Bible.

Comments

Anonymous said…
hi sarah...found your new site...and your chihuly pictures...did you know he hails from Tacoma? where much of his work is on permanent display...i wonder if you noticed the bridge of glass...you go under it just before leaving the freeway at downtown tacoma...just short of Annies...grandpa and myrna have viewed the displays...ginny

Popular Posts