I really really need to be working right now, but I have to write this down before I forget...

Mark's wife and daughters came to dinner tonight at the dining hall. I definitely do not get enough kid-wisdom while I'm at Olin, so tonight was good. The older one (six "almost seven" year-old C) was especially talkative, and was expounding on the nature of the universe. She explained how everything started, "Two clouds of nothingness crashed into each other, and there were two balls: one was fire, and the other was earth. Then cells came out of the rocks started sticking together and they became dinosaurs." Also on the interconnectedness of the human species: "Did you know that we're all brothers? Brothers and sisters? Because it all started with a family of monkeys, and they had the first people, and so we're all related. And in Iraq we're killing our aunts and uncles and brothers and sisters." And on the supernatural: "But what I REALLY want to know about is heaven and hell. I mean, what ARE they? I know heaven is above the clouds, or in the clouds, and hell is under the earth. I think in hell there are lots of skeletons. And Hitler. Maybe they're all Hitler, the whole thing. Do you think George Bush will be there?" It's just fascinating to me how she's taken all these tidbits of information and woven them into her concept of how the world works.

There were, of course, also jokes:

C: Knock, knock.
me: Who's there?
C: Interrupting cow.
me: Interr--
C: MOO!

And then J (who is about five years old) wanted to try:

J: Knock knock.
me: Who's there?
J: Interrupting cow.
me: Interrupting cow who?
J: moo.
J: I was supposed to say that in the middle.

Comments

Popular Posts