SIGH OF RELIEF. I just finished writing my final paper for "Six Books that Changed the World" (on Dr. Spock's Book of Baby and Child Care, 1946 edition). That means that I'm officially done with my two half-semester classes, and I can hopefully stop surviving and start living again. I could definitely not keep up with six classes throughout the whole semester. Actually, I might be able to get all the work done, but at a cost. I already feel like I've been neglecting the big picture in favor of just completing deliverables for my classes (prioritizing tasks over goals, in HFID parlance). This is bad because when I forget why I'm taking a class, I don't do quality work, regardless of whether I'm spending the same amount of time on said work. Over spring break, I need to sit down and look at my life. Somewhere I have a list of life-hopes/goals/dreams, and I should think about whether or not I'm progressing towards those.

I don't really understand how people function with so little sleep. I pulled my first all-nighter (okay, I went to bed at 6, so I actually got an hour of sleep) on Monday night to prepare my math modeling presentation, and it's Thursday and I'm still tired. In general though, I'm really good at sleeping. In fact, you might call me an expert.

Math modeling worked out, in the end. I was really stressed about the final paper and presentation, but I'm happy with what I came up with, and I understand everything that I/Burt did. And I actually can see the usefulness of math modeling, especially in the case of my project. The brewing temperature inside the portafilter of an espresso machine could be measured by lots and lots of thermocouples (because the temp isn't constant throughout, but varies with position), OR you could take the temperature of the water coming in and the coffee coming out, and use my model to find out what the temperature profile is inside the portafilter. Woo.

Comments

Popular Posts