Frustrated

Anonymous feedback is undesireable in most cases because it allows people to be negative without taking ownership of their remarks.

Anonymous bitchy little notes are never good.

I arrived early for Systems this morning, and when I went to sit down, I saw our class's project vehicle sitting on the ground next to the table:

12-3-05 054

It had a note on it. The note reads,

"Systems Project
Please Do Not
Touch!
<3 Kate and Ben D"

There was also a smaller note scribbled on the piece of paper. 12-3-05 055

The small note reads,

"Then Don't put it in
everyone's workspace"

.
.
.

Okay. The car had been placed on the table at 5 pm yesterday, and there were no classes in the lab between 5 pm yesterday and 10 am today. So someone must have come in, taken offence at the fact that our car was occupying 4 square feet of table real estate, and felt the need to move it onto the floor and write the bitchy little note. For reference, I will provide some pictures of the lab.

Here is a dramatic recreation of the setup that the note-writer would have encountered. Please note that nothing else on the table is our mess. Just the car. Just. The. Car.

12-3-05 057

And here are some of the other workspaces in the lab.

12-3-05 059

It's really hard to tell what part of the mess is ours--no, wait, actually it's not, because the only things being used by or belonging to our class that appear in these pictures are the laptops, the humans, and the backpacks.

So, to the writer of the note: I'm sorry if the presence of our 2' x 2' vehicle severely impacted your ability to do work in the lab during the 15 hours when it was there. I would have liked to address this apology to you directly, but since you didn't see fit to sign your name, I can't do that.



Sigh.

It's the end of the semester, everything is a mess, and we all feel the need for adequate project space.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Props.
Grant Hutchins said…
They even put a heart!
Anonymous said…
If I damaged your vehicle, I appologize and am truly sorry. However, if the only inconvenience to you was having to pick it back up and put it on the table, then I truly don't care. You claim you only took a 2'x2' square, but it meant that the table was no longer usable for our work. And as for the 15 hours remark, I believe this is the same project that has been on the desk in the right back for weeks. Why couldn't you move it back there?

I really don't like that the seniors feel they have some innate right to leave their crap in there. The front right desk has had a SCOPE project on it for weeks. I _used_ to sit there, but I moved back a desk to accomodate. I really sitting over there. I can hear the prof AND I can see the board. I didn't want this systems project to stay there till the end of semester. You were there to move it at 10am the next day, but I had no way of knowing this.

If there had been a time listed, or a lack of a SCOPE project on the desk ahead, or a less shitty day, I probably wouldn't have moved it, I would have just been pissed off. Please keep communal work areas open.
Sarah said…
I can understand how it might be frustrating if it's seen as seniors blithely leaving their messes everywhere. I personally feel like it's *everyone* leaving their crap everywhere, but if it's perceived as just seniors, that's going to build up resentment between classes, and that's not good. I maintain that it would be a lot more constructive to attach your name to your commentary, because then I could discuss this further with you personally instead of in a public forum.

Popular Posts