disappointed

There's a big rally and march this afternoon in front of the White House, in opposition to Israel's bombardment of Lebanon. I went, because it seems pretty clear to me that Israel's response to Hezbollah was/is reckless and disproporionately affects Lebanese civilians (1000 dead and counting). The weather is perfect today and as the bus approached the White House, I could see kids wrapped in Lebanese flags (it's a beautiful flag; one of my favorites). I followed the crowds toward the park and joined the masses listening to a succession of speakers while waiting for the march to start. It sounds corny, but it was really lovely, to see veiled women standing shoulder to shoulder with dreadlocked girls in tank tops, waving the same flags and cheering in unison.

But after several speakers, one guy came on the stage, and after basically repeating what all the speakers had already said, he ended his speech by saying "we support Hezbollah!" I wasn't sure I'd heard right, and I saw more than a few people looking around in disbelief. But there were also some cheers. Subsequent speakers continued to mention "freedom fighters," and perhaps they didn't mean Hezbollah, but I think that they did. After that, everything was just soured for me. I did not go to this rally because I support Hezbollah; the fact that I think Israel is wrong doesn't mean I think Hezbollah is right. Isn't this just the kind of black and white thinking that we accuse the Bush administration of? I tried to put the speaker's words behind me and tell myself that most of the crowd would disagree with him (which I have to believe is true). But I couldn't get past it... why does A.N.S.W.E.R. have to ruin everything? I also worry that this movement is edging too close to condemning the existence of Israel (as opposed to condemning its actions), or even Jews in general, which is pretty disturbing. Since I didn't have a sign on which I could express my own views, I decided to leave rather than risk having my motives misunderstood. I'm pretty disappointed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Sarah;

I read your comments regarding thoughts & feelings of what is happening in Lebanon by Israel's bombs & the killing of innocent civilians.
I commend you on your genuine care & your attempt to take action by marching onto the white house to express your feelings regarding the Bush administration handling this whole conflict.
I have no doubt that George Bush gave Israel the green light to attack Lebanon & do as much damage as it could. I don't trust the mainstream news media in the US. Its all in support of Israel & lots of propaganda.
One good source for obtaining clear information is www.normanfinkelstein.com .

Best Regards.

Popular Posts