irresponsible people...

You know, I've heard people complain that it's too hard to adopt animals; that the shelter asks questions about whether you have a yard, what hours you work, what vet you would take your pet to, what kind of kitty litter you plan to use. But people can be surprisingly irresponsible.

I remember Italia's kitten, which showed up in the apartment sometime while I was home for winter break. Italia left for several days soon afterwards, leaving us with a kitten, no food, and no litter box. Somehow it survived on instant mashed potato flakes and sliced bologna that we got from the foodbank, until Sarah and Tucker adopted it. But Italia was an exceptionally irresponsible individual.

On Tuesday at our house dinner, Emily mentioned that she was planning to get a fish.

This morning, Lorin found a vase on our front porch containing some glass marbles, 3 inches of water, and a Beta. She brought it inside and put it on the table. I saw Emily later in the day and she said "So how do you like our new fish? My friend gave him to me!" And then she left. The country. For three weeks. And there is a sad fish sitting on our table in a vase of rapidly evaporating water. Supposedly her brother is going to stay in her room while she's gone, but we don't know when he's arriving and we don't have his phone number. At least she left food and water drops for whoever gets guilted into caring for the fish.

[unrelated] I think doctors must really like diagnosing dermatographism because it gives them an excuse to grab their patient's arm and scratch long gouges in it. Thanks for that. If you'd asked, I could have told you that I have it.

Comments

Jared said…
That would irritate me so much. Years ago a roommate did that to me with a dog. I hated that dog, and my friend for getting him.

Popular Posts