overheard

On the bus home today I sat down next to a man who was just answering his phone. What followed was a quite intriguing one-sided conversation. I'm going to attempt to recreate it:

"Hey, yeah, I'm on the bus--no, what--on the bus, coming back from an AA meeting. Heeyeah I am, but no, it's cool, they don't care if you come in toasted. The guard at the door even asked me 'Are you sure you're here for the AA meeting? You look pretty toasted.' and I was like 'I am!' and he just buzzed me in. They like to see us there, you know? It reminds them of what they used to be, how they used to be like. I really wanted to talk, but I didn't get to talk. I really wanted to talk though. Hey yeah, so how come we drank for nine days straight and didn't hit each other, and then out of nowhere you just hit me? What? No, you hit me, remember? And I said 'look man, just because you're disabled'--no, listen, what I said was 'just because you're disabled doesn't mean you can just go around hitting people,' and then I hit you back, and you hit me again, and then I left. What? Well you weren't bleeding when I left. I thought I was going to give you a bloody nose, yeah I thought I was going to give you a bloody nose, you know, but when I got off the plane you weren't bleeding, and I went to get my bags from the cart, the baggage thing. Well what I'm saying is you weren't bleeding when I left, and now you're saying you were bleeding, but I didn't see you bleeding. Alright, so we're now cool man?"

And then we got to my stop :-(

Comments

Popular Posts