ISO race article

Sometime while I was at Olin I read something (journal article? essay?) about race, and the author, who I think was female, talked about how it was possible to change your race just by moving to a different country. She gave the example of a young woman who moved from some Latin American country to the U.S., and "became" black as soon as she arrived here. There was some stuff about how the U.S. is now by some definitions a majority minority country, but this is due to how we perceive race--relating back the the history of the one drop rule.

I don't know if I read this for a class, or in a co-curricular, or if it was for my OSS. If this rings any bells with anyone, let me know. I'd like to find this article again and share it with one of my housemates.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I remember reading it too. I can only think of two places it could have come from:
1. My Caribbean Lit. and Culture class at Wellesley, which would mean Prof. Rubio has a copy
-or-
2. The "Prejudiced" Table, which would mean it came from Chandra, Sarah Zwicker, or Nick Tatar
Sarah said…
Hm... perhaps I'll email Nick, as well as searching through Outlook for old Prejudiced emails. Thanks for the lead.

Popular Posts