cautious hope

I just started reading The Audacity of Hope, which my dad gave me for Christmas (I also gave a copy to my mom). I want so badly for Barack Obama to be our next president. He's the only politician that I can ever remember finding both sincere and inspiring.

He seems to really be committed to the idea of making connections with people with whom we might think we have nothing in common. I want this too--but it's difficult, and maybe he could lead the way, and show us how it's done. I want to know how I can productively discuss anything of substance with my brother-in-law, who in a game of Apples to Apples unironically paired "feminists" with "dangerous." Where do I start? So many of the values and opinions that we hold are polar opposites, but if we stick to just discussing real estate and home repairs, how can we ever connect on a non-superficial level?

P.S.
Obama says America needs fewer lawyers and more engineers :-)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Sarah,
Didn't get to say goodbye before you left. It was good to see you though.
I just started Dreams of My Father. I am hopeful that he may be able to articulate how folks like us can do something that matters in the big picture.
I tried to get a copy of Audacity, but it is sold out in Norman. That's got to make you feel good. My father gave us a copy of O'Reilly's new book, so we had to exchange it for something significant. The only copy of Audacity was the audio. I plan to listen to it after I finish this book.
Happy New Year!
Will said…
Hey Sarah,

How's Audacity going? A friend back home also recommended it. I just started listening to the Obama and Edwards podcasts and flipping through websites to get a sense of their positions...Sounds like you're definitely in the Obama camp :-)
Sarah said…
I haven't finished it yet (life intruded), but I'm liking it a lot. To be fair though, I haven't read anything by Clinton or Edwards. Maybe I would be just as impressed with them...

Popular Posts