food again

I've been out of town for the past two weekends, which means that as of this morning my supply of fresh vegetables was down to three tomatoes and a few tomatillos. On principle, I try to only get produce from the farmers market. I know that I could go to a grocery store, but I kind of enjoy the challenge.

This morning I couldn't resist going to the Mt. Pleasant farmers market, which I normally avoid because I know I'll be getting free vegetables on Sunday. I wanted to make tabouli, but no one at the market had parsley, so I got purslane instead, and I didn't have any cracked wheat, so I used barley. It actually turned out really well--the barley has a nice texture, and the purslane stood up well to being chopped. My recipe, roughly, was:

1/2 c. dry barley (plus 1 c. water, simmered for ~20 min.)
purslane
1 small onion, diced
1 small cucumber, diced
5 small really tasty heirloom tomatoes, diced
1/2 c. each of lemon juice and olive oil, whisked with salt and pepper

tabouli

Comments

trio said…
Hi Sarah, I'm trying your recipe this evening! One of our family favorites is beany salad, about equal parts black/kidney beans and barley, with tomato, peppers, cilantro, seasonings...love barley in a salad. Thanks for the yummy idea for new salad, gh

Popular Posts