how to make friends and influence people

I discovered today that the most popular person at the market is the one cutting up watermelon samples. Specifically, samples of Heinz's watermelons, which come in a variety of sizes and colors (inside and out) and all of which are among the best watermelons I've ever tasted. I have a blister on my finger from cutting so many watermelons today.

I kept checking with Heinz to see whether I was putting out too many samples, but he says that people are much more likely to buy his melons when they've tasted them. I believe it--so many people wandered by, absently grabbed a free sample and brought it to their mouths while still walking, only to stop in their tracks and turn around to demand more information of me: "Are they all this sweet?" Yes. "How do I pick a good one?" I've cut up 8 watermelons so far today and haven't found one yet that wasn't fantastic. "How much are they?" $1 a pound. $1 a pound is pretty expensive for watermelons, and I've seen people's eyes bug out when their $10 watermelons get rung up (we have a $10 cap per watermelon). But they come back the next week and buy more.

IMG_1731
One of the many lunch-sized watermelons that I schlepped home today. I don't know if it's clear from this photo, but the watermelon is about 10 inches long.

Considering that the farmers market is my favorite part of the week, I haven't blogged about it much. I think this is probably because I'm so exhausted at the end of it. But I think it must be said--working at the farmers market is great. I love the people-watching--you can never tell by appearance who is going to exclaim with great excitement, "Oh, honey! They have callaloo!" I love offering samples of Sungold cherry tomatoes to Japanese tourists snapping photos. I love seeing toddlers gripping tomatillos and staring at them with wonder. I love setting up Heinz's display of bell peppers in rainbow order: red, orange, yellow, green, and lilac. I love getting Camembert from the milk people and bread from the bakery, and tearing off pieces to eat while I work. I love the other people who work at the stand. And I really love having access to all the delicious, organic, picked-yesterday produce that I can carry to the bus stop.

After the crucial shower and nap on Sunday afternoon, I've usually recovered enough to do some cooking for lunches for the next few days. Tonight, I made a quiche. There are more pictures, along with directions, on Flickr. I'll just put the start and finish pictures here.

IMG_1737

step 6

It's not fancy, or really even very pretty, but it tastes good, and it's fairly easy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
"How to Win Friends and Influence People" -- my parents gave me that book for my birthday a few years back because they were worried about my retarded social development and I read it, not sure if it helped any. I should have found a job cutting watermelon. That quiche looks pretty good to me!

Popular Posts