warning... whining ahead

Well, I'm feeling more than a little misanthropic today. There are three new corn crib residents, which is most likely a contributing factor.

I had a great a non-misanthropic weekend, visiting friends in DC on Sunday, and inviting the girls up to the corn crib on Monday to make belated valentines for their parents.

Monday evening, the first guy arrived to start his two-week trial period on the farm. Tuesday, a couple arrived--the wife is going to work on the farm while the husband looks for work as a bike mechanic. There's nothing really wrong with these people, but. But. I guess I've gotten used to living alone. I think that's most of it. And now suddenly I have a bunch of housemates, and not ones that I chose. I sort of feel like since I've been living here for a while, I should be able to assert myself better. But this is not really an area of strength for me, so I'll probably just retreat into my room and cede the common space to the more gregarious personalities. My petty grievances of the moment, roughly in order of ascending pettiness:

  • Two-week visitor runs his space heater all night long, so I can't run mine at all (without overloading the circuit) even though I've explained the situation to him.
  • shoes and boots in the house--things get dirty quickly

  • someone borrowed my house slippers to wear outside, and put them back outside my door with wet leaves still stuck to the soles.

  • everyone seems to be helping themselves to my shampoo, conditioner, soap, lotion, etc. Not that they're expensive brands, but it's nice to be asked.

  • dog on the couch

  • dog in my room

  • dog footprints everywhere

  • a new dog bed, 4' in diameter, occupying the corn crib's 8' x 5' living room

  • discussions about how much cooler Carhartt would be if they made skinny jeans, and how it sucks that when you sew the legs narrower, the crotch rips sooner.

  • punks who refuse to grow up (I realize I sound like a cranky old lady, but how old can you get before nose piercings and a dredlocked rat tail are just ridiculous? I don't know for sure, but I'd say 35 is pushing it).

Comments

Joelle said…
I say overload the circuit. Then no one has heat.

Good thing I'm not King Solomon...I would've chopped the baby in half!

Living alone is addictive...I don't think I could go back. I like being able to leave a mess, or keep things clean, or eat chocolate for dinner, or play the music loudly or have absolute silence...

Who owns the dog? As in, will it be leaving in 2 weeks?
Sarah said…
The dog is here for good. The married couple is going to be sleeping in a separate "house," but will be doing all of their cooking, showering, and, apparently, hanging out in the corn crib, with the dog. Sigh. I'm just really more of a cat person. I like to visit dogs, but not live with them.

Yes, it's addictive--I'm less motivated to clean now that I know people other than me will be getting the place dirty.
Anonymous said…
poison the dog and/or put doggy poo inside their pillows, hidden well, so they have trouble telling where the stink is coming from.
Joelle said…
I'm sure I've said it before, but if you ever need to get off the farm, my futon is always open. Yes, there's a dog here too, and it's pretty tight quarters, and it's not always very clean, but at least there's heat!

Popular Posts