Beth is here!

Beth is here visiting right now, which is really nice. We got to see her on New Year's, too, but there were lots of other people around. We sat down today and played Pictionary. Beth and I won, but it was pretty close. I love Pictionary. I want to play it more often. Does anybody at Olin own it? Maybe Game Club?

Me and Beth

Mom and Dad

AND, since Beth was here, it was a perfect opportunity to take a picture of all of us with the family portrait from Lourdes. Lourdes is a woman that we knew in Saudi Arabia--she worked as a maid for the family next door to us, and she would bring the kids over to our house and talk to my mom. It was not uncommon for women to come from the Philippines to work as maids in Saudi Arabia and send money home to their families. I'm sure situations vary... Lourdes was not treated very well by our neighbors. Lourdes is back in the Philippines now, struggling to earn a living. She and my mom have kept in touch, and my mom has sent her money occasionally. Lourdes and her son are trying to start a small store (if it were in Latin America, I would call it a pulperia), and my mom helped her out with some startup money. In return, Lourdes sent us a nice letter and a charcoal portrait based on a photo of our family in ~1987. It was really nice of her, and we were touched by the thought. But... after opening it on Christmas morning and spending a little time being sentimental, we started giggling.

Family

portrait from Lourdes

Which, again, is not to say that we don't appreciate the gift. It's just that... to give one example, my sister did not look like a potato at age 2.5 (or at any age).

Comments

Anonymous said…
And did your ears really stick out that much?

I'd like to see a scan of the picture from which it was copied...

I was thinking it might be fun to have a game night sometime...we do wine and cheese pretty often, I thought it might be fun to do pizza, beer and poker, or some other games. I don't even like beer, but it does set the tone. And it's a hell of a lot cheaper.

Ask Steve for game club games...he's not in charge, but should know what they have. Or Sarah Marshall.

Joles

Popular Posts