Could Bank of America be any worse?

I'm so pissed off at Bank of America and their ridiculous fees! Their whole system is designed to work against people who don't have a lot of money in their accounts (see: me).

This problem was set in motion a couple of weeks ago, when I wrote out my rent check to Darrin. I gave him the check and he came back and told me I had written the wrong amount, so I wrote a new check and he said he would rip up the old one. Unfortunately, he forgot, so I opened my email on Monday morning to find a Warning! from Bank of America that I had $50 in my checking account. Looking at my recent transactions, I notice that Darrin has deposited both of my checks, draining my checking account and causing overdraft protection to kick in, taking money from my savings account and putting it below the minimum monthly balance. So. Let's add up the fees:

$3 monthly maintenance fee for my savings account having a low balance
$5 monthly maintenance fee for my checking account having a low balance
$10 overdraft protection fee
$9 !! for making more than one "teller transaction" (includes ATMS) in a month (Darrin wrote me a check to return my money! I had to %&*$ing deposit it!)

For a total of $27. Darrin paid me $13 which is good, but two of the fees just showed up in my account today. Yes, I'm annoyed with Darrin for his mistake, but BOA--this is ridiculous. Penalize me for not having enough money by, yes, taking away more of my money. And I can't switch to a checking account without a limited number of transactions because I can't maintain the required minimum balance.

So why am I still sticking with this shitty bank? Because they have ATMs in every city I've lived in in the past 6 years. It's convenient. But I'm not sure it's worth it anymore... can anyone recommend a new bank? There are a lot of Chevy Chase Banks around here. Maybe them?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Chevy Chase is fine if you don't plan on leaving the DC/Maryland/Northern Virginia area. I had them before I left for Olin and they definitely had fewer fees than BOA.

I feel your pain with BOA. I got overdrafted twice, only the fee was $35.
Anonymous said…
There's no reason to stick with a bank these days because of things like ATMs. Free checking and free ATMing are wonderful wonderful things, and they're big reasons I use a bank local to my house in Florida. True, if I need to deposit a check, I have to mail it in, but my paychecks are usually direct deposited and I don't deal with a lot of other stuff. I just have an ATM/Check card and a checkbook, and I haven't worried about finding the "right" ATM for over 3 years.

Popular Posts