Spanish lesson of the day: "bastante" means "enough," but it doesn't work in all cases. A better translation would be "plenty" or "more than enough." So when someone is bothering you, you can say "basta!" and they'll leave you alone. But when someone asks you if you speak Spanish, and you say "bastante" like I've been doing, you are telling them that you're almost fluent. The word I should have been using is "suficiente."

Today before work I did laundry. Apparently I'm the only guest Don Juan and Dona Adilia have ever had that has insisted on doing their own laundry. Adilia was amused by my efforts, and was generous in offering pointers (some of which I understood). Washing clothes by hand is hard work, and if I'm the one sweating on my clothes, I should be the one who has to wash them. I can't believe that other students would just hand over their clothes to Adilia.

Advice for anyone considering a trip to Nicaragua: If you would be embarrassed to see your underwear hanging in the yard or in the kitchen, buy some new "blumeres."

Comments

Popular Posts