Okay, here it is:

apartment

Will and I live on the first floor, the landlord and her roommate live on the second floor, and a girl lives in the basement. It's a pretty ugly building. But it looks a little better on the inside:

livingroom

Obviously, the former residents left behind a lot of stuff, some of which I appreciate. The crucifix... I'm not really sure what to do with that. I'd rather not have it staring at me all the time, but I feel bad putting it in a dark corner somewhere, or under the sink with the mousetraps.

My JOB. ROCKS. Okay, so the actual work isn't thrilling--it's a database, so I expected that. But I really like my coworkers, and I like the office environment. I'm working with Bidemi, who is from Sierra Leone, Babette (Mark Somerville's wife), from Holland, Tamara, from Sri Lanka, Zhimin, from China, and Karima, a DC native. These women, plus George, the director, and Paul, the database guy, make up the EPDC. We share a floor with people working on a variety of other AED projects, and even though I haven't really met anyone outside the EPDC group, I like just walking the halls and listening. There are so many fantastic accents and languages floating around. Our floor is also very visually pleasant--lots of interesting art on the walls. For a cubicle farm, I'm very impressed. My office (yes, that's right, Tamara and I share a real office with a big window) is okay, but very bare. I'm having the same problem at the apartment--I didn't pack things that would let me personalize my living and working space, such as photos.

I hope this 4th of July gathering of Olin people in the DC area works out--that should be fun. And in case any non-DC people are interested in coming, Southwest has some pretty tempting tickets for sale right now, going to BWI...

$34 one-way, to/from Albany, NY
$34 one-way, to/from Buffalo, NY
$79 one-way, to/from Chicago Midway, IL
$34 one-way, to/from Cleveland, OH
$34 one-way, to/from Columbus, OH
$79 one-way, to/from Ft. Lauderdale, FL
$34 one-way, to/from Hartford, CT (BDL)
$79 one-way, to/from Jacksonville, FL
$34 one-way, to/from Long Island/Islip, NY
$64 one-way, to/from Louisville, KY
$34 one-way, to/from Manchester, NH
$76 one-way, to/from Nashville, TN
$34 one-way, to/from Norfolk, VA
$79 one-way, to/from Orlando, FL
$34 one-way, to/from Providence, RI
$34 one-way, to/from Raleigh-Durham, NC
$79 one-way, to/from Tampa Bay, FL

$68 round trip from Providence to Baltimore! How can you say no?

Comments

Sarah said…
Yeah Janet, you should come!
Clara said…
Hehe, I want to visit DC too! 4th of July gathering sounds like it's going to be really awesome! Thinking about visiting DC at least once this summer because a lot of my friends will be in the area... =)

What's your summer job? Intriguing. The place looks really nice too! Who is Will?
Anonymous said…
A lot more space than you had in your house in San Jose!

Popular Posts