The trip to Colorado didn't get off to promising start. I had a 6:30 am flight on Wednesday and I set my alarm for 4:15... pm. I woke up at 5:34, panicked, threw on my clothes and ran out to the street and flagged down a taxi. He got me to National by 6:00, so I was cutting it close, but everything was great... until I got out my wallet to pay the driver and realized that I left my ID at home. I went up to the ticket counter anyway, and told my story. The agent said, "oh, you don't need a photo ID. You'll just have to go through additional screening." This was totally unexpected... I really thought you had to have some government ID, even if it didn't have a photo. I didn't even have a library card with me. But I got through security and ran to my gate, boarding at 6:18, two minutes before they closed the door. Win! I had no trouble in Denver on the way back, either. They didn't even ask to see a credit card with my name on it. It does make me wonder though... how much more difficult it would have been if I had looked "suspicious" to security.

The family reunion was wonderful. Other than the first day and a half (in which we saw snow, rain, hail, and chilly winds), the weather was perfect. And we had almost the whole family present, some of whom I hadn't seen for... eight years maybe? We played cards and Apples to Apples and Pictionary, cooked and ate lots of good food, took lots of pictures, and talked. Hm... it seems a little strange to blog about this since several of my relatives check this blog. Hi! It was great to see all of you!

IMG_0755.JPG

And now I'm back, and unlike when I got back from my trip up to Olin three weeks ago, we are not racing to meet a deadline at work and I am not in the middle of a two-week-long cold. So things are pretty good, all things considered.

I don't think my plants got quite as much water in my absence as they've been accustomed to. The marigolds lost all of their blossoms, but the leaves are still green, so I think they'll survive. The tomatoes are getting bigger, and seem healthy except for some brown limbs that I removed. The rosemary is doing great, so it's unfortunate that I don't really know how to use it in the kitchen.

Lorin left today for Haiti, and she gave me some rhubarb that she needed to get rid of. I cooked it with some honey, orange rind, and ginger, and added the rest of the orange when it was done cooking. Then I mixed some oats with butter, brown sugar, and salt, and toasted it in the oven. And then I put it all on vanilla ice cream. (I had dinner too, but I was much more excited about my dessert)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Sarah, it went too fast! but what I missed in visiting individually was matched by the joy of being part of the big gang for a couple of days. It was wonderful to see you, what a beautiful woman you are. Thanks for sharing your pictures. gh

Popular Posts