So last night I woke up at 2 am because my room was shaking. I quickly realized that it was an earthquake, but for some reason this did not trouble me (possibly because it seemed like a dream). It was only after the shaking stopped that I started overanalyzing things, and couldn't go back to sleep. I'm pretty sure that the house I'm living in was not constructed in accordance with any earthquake code (or in accordance with the laws of physics, for that matter). Considering Nicaragua's history of devastating earthquakes, and the number of active volcanoes that they have... things could have been bad. They weren't, but they could have been. All the dogs in Managua were going nuts, and that reminded me of how animals can supposedly sense earthquakes. Of course, the dogs here go nuts about other things too, like trees and dirt. In the morning, I asked Don Juan how big the earthquake was, and he said the radio was saying 0.5. I call BS on this. There's no way that a 0.5 earthquake would wake me up in the middle of the night. Google news gives me no results on the earthquake, however, so I can't refute it.

The debates last night were interesting. That is, Managua's mayoral debates were interesting. I'll be reading about the presidential debates after I finish this post. Anyway, the last time I watched a debate was four years ago during the last presidential campaign, and I mostly remember it being boring (but that might reflect more on me than on the debate). But this mayoral debate was FUN. The crowd was rowdy but not so rowdy that they derailed the debate. The candidates alternately joked with each other, poked fun at each other, and brutally insulted each other. I really got a good sense of each candidate's personality and their plans for Managua, which made me happy because I was understanding the Spanish.

I'm really grateful that Dona Adilia has the habit of explaining my food to me before I eat it. This helped me avoid eating chicken hearts last night. I just can't handle that.

Comments

Popular Posts