This morning Dona Adilia pulled me aside and said that she wanted to talk, just the two of us. She was speaking in very hushed tones, so I didn't understand everything she said, but I got the general idea. Apparently, they've hosted students in the past who have decided to leave early (like me) and who have asked for a refund of the room and board that they already paid for (not like me). This strikes me as a pretty dishonorable thing to do, on the part of the students. Most of them come from the U.S. or Western Europe, and I'm sure they all know that when you're renting a place to live, you pay by the month, even if you only live there for a few weeks. So how could they ask for their money back from a family that is so obviously struggling to survive?

Dona Adilia told me that it's hard to come up with the money to refund the students, because when she is expecting someone to stay for a month, she buys a month's worth of food. I really do find it hard to believe that students would have the chutzpah to ask for their money back. I wonder if this is a policy on the part of Grupo Fenix. When I told Susan that I would be leaving early, and that I was paying through October and wanted to leave something extra for the family since they wouldn't be hosting a student in November or December, she told me that I really didn't have to do that-- and that they could refund half of October. I would really like to talk to Susan about this, but Adilia specifically asked me not to mention it to anyone at Grupo Fenix, because she's afraid that they won't send her any more students. What should I do?

Comments

Popular Posts