WARNING: if you're currently living in a foreign country and are prone to feeling homesick for simple pleasures, don't read this post.

I'm home. I wish I were always as tuned in and appreciative of sensory pleasures as I have been for the past 20 hours or so. Walking on wood floors in bare feet, going to bed in a chilly room covered in warm, fuzzy blankets, with my cat asleep next to me, taking a hot shower, and then a hot bath, just because of how much I love hot water. Feeling clean and finally not sweaty. Eating hummus, pita bread, goat cheese, fresh vegetables, wasabi peas, goldfish crackers, sandwiches, drinking cold grapefruit juice. Sitting and laying on soft surfaces like couches and beds.

It's good to see the people, too. My mom met me at the airport, and my dad will get home from Jordan tonight. The kids nextdoor made welcome home signs for me and put them in our yard. Last night the neighbors and Ning came over for dinner and it was a nice low-key reintroduction into society. I didn't sleep well Tuesday night and left for the airport at 5 am, so I was exhausted, but I did stay up long enough to watch the last presidential debate. It didn't change any opinions in this household, although I found it interesting nonetheless. Anyway, my vote is already in.

On the flight from Houston to Oklahoma City, the man next to me wanted to talk about politics. Luckily, he mostly wanted me to listen, since we seemed to hold polar opposite views and I didn't feel like getting into a discussion. But he did ask some about me and my life, and I must have made a good impression, because he randomly ended up saying that he would vote for me for governor. I kind of laughed and said, "ah, but I'm a Democrat," to which he replied "Aww, that's okay. I thought I was a Democrat at your age too." So I guess there's still hope for me.

Comments

Popular Posts