This weekend, I visited Lesbia again in Granada. We didn't do much on Saturday night, just watched the boxing match between Mayorga (Nicaraguan) and Tito Trinidad (Puerto Rican). Any fans of boxing out there? Yeah, me neither. In the morning I woke up before Lesbia, so I got to spend some quality time with Bertha, the parrot. I'm actually surprised by how much personality a bird can have. I was also treated to her repetoire of noises, including saying "hola," "buenos dias," "Bertha," screaming like Travis, quacking like a duck, and doing a mean imitation of a smoker's cough. My personal favorites, however, are the realistic kissing noises. That takes talent, to make kissing noises when you don't have lips (try it--I did. Your tongue against the roof of your mouth just doesn't suffice).

Later, we went to Masaya because I wanted to buy artesanias, and we stopped for lunch at Lesbia's aunt's house. It was muy tranquilo... ducks, chickens, chicks, piglets, and dogs all wandering around, coexisting more or less peacefully. And I confirmed that chicks are absolutely adorable. Dona Adilia has chickens, and some young chickens that are not chicks and not chickens... they're the teenagers of the chicken world, and to judge by their appearance, adolesence for chickens is just as awkward as it is for humans.

After buying some artesanias in the market in Masaya, we found out that the last Express bus had already left for Managua. (Express buses are like extra big vans that cost 14 cordobas and make fewer stops than the other buses). So I ended up taking a "chicken bus" to a part of Managua that I've never visited. My first time to take a chicken bus by myself. In case you were wondering where American school buses go to die, it's here (and probably other countries in Centroamerica and Mexico as well). They weren't comfortable when you were eight years old, and they're sure not comfortable now.

Comments

Popular Posts