The pride parade was fun. And very different from the parades in Tulsa (I guess this is not that surprising). I didn't even see any protestors. Took lots of pictures, which are on flickr. I had a really good view for about half of the parade, and then this group of really excited girls got in front of me. They were pretty short though, so it was okay. The thing that I found weird and kind of depressing about the whole event was that although DC is 60% black, the parade participants and observers were at least 90% white. There was a separate black [gay] pride event last weekend, but there were also separate dyke events, youth events, and deaf events, and I guess I assumed that everybody came together for the big pride parade. Apparently not. This kind of bothers me. Should it?

In other news, my camera almost got ignobly murdered by a stray jolly rancher traveling at high velocity. I think people in parades should try to throw soft candy, when possible.

My favorite T-shirt that I saw at the parade: "Mom, Dad, ... I'm Gaelic."

Comments

Popular Posts