The Smithsonian is having a "folklife festival" this week, so I went today to check it out. The most interesting stuff was about Oman (each year they choose three cultures to focus on, and this year they had Oman, the Forest Service, and "Food Culture." I think they're reaching...).

I spent most of my time in the tent where they were dancing. It was not really what I expected--Oman is right next to Saudi Arabia, but apparently Omani culture has both Arab and African elements. It was hot, sweaty, chaotic, and intoxicating. There was incense, dancing, singing, chanting, and little kids joining the dancers and dancing as only two-year-olds can. I don't think I can really do it justice by describing it, so I'll stop.

Afterwards I went to see a documentary called "Mad Hot Ballroom," (trailer here) which I recommend. Kids are awesome.

Comments

Anonymous said…
How did you find out about Mad Hot Ballroom? I've never heard of it.

mom

Popular Posts