first day of work!

... was weird. Almost everyone in the EPDC was out of the office for various reasons (vacation! pregnant! honeymoon! working from home! had a meeting!), so Manikka from Human Resources dropped me off with an EPDC intern who I'd never met before. She was in the office that Tamara and I shared last summer. With no one to tell me what to do, I roamed the internet, doing things that I thought might be relevant to my job. Luckily (I guess) AED's *&$! IT Department had never disabled my account from last summer, so I was able to log on and check my 2000 emails, etc.

George showed up eventually and gave me a good idea of what the EPDC is currently working on, and what its top priorities are right now. He also gave me an office... unfortunately, unlike the real office, with a door and window, that I was in last summer, my office this time is a cubicle tucked away in a corner. It looks very uninspiring right now, but hopefully I'll make it better. I wish there were a way to turn off the fluorescent light over my head. Oh, and a disappointing discovery about timesheets... my official letter from AED says something like "and you'll be earning an hourly rate of $xx.xx, which is equivalent to an annual salary of $yyyyy." I interpreted this to mean that working overtime would earn me more money, but apparently not. If I work less than 40 hours per week, then I earn $xx.xx per hour. If I work more than 40 hours per week, then I earn $00.00 for every additional hour. At least this is what George says. I will inquire further. It just seems like kind of a mean combination of pay systems. Or maybe I've been misinformed about the real world.

On a happier note, the gazpacho is disappearing. So, maybe someone has been eating it, or maybe someone has been stealthily pouring it down the garbage disposal to spare my feelings. Either would be appreciated.

Comments

Popular Posts