nonstop

Today is World Refugee Day, apparently, so on the suggestion of Tim via Simone, I went to the National Geographic Society Headquarters for some free music. It was quite well done, I think. There were photographs on display and short descriptions of the situations depicted (all related to refugees). And the music was mostly very good. There was some interpretive modern dance from El Salvador that I didn't care for, but the two groups from Rwanda were enjoyable. One guy managed to get a lot of the audience to stand up and dance, which was cool. There was a mother with her baby up on the stage, as well as college kids and grandparents. There was a family sitting behind me in the auditorium with two girls ages maybe 4 and 7. When people started dancing, the 4 year old and her mom stood up and started dancing in the aisle, and then the mom started making her way towards the stage. The little girl ran up with her and got on stage, froze, grabbed her mom's hand and dragged her off and back to their seats. I heard her say sadly "I was too shy. Mommy I wanted to but I was too shy." She sounded so disappointed in herself. I wanted to tell her that I know just how it feels.

Other news... I'm done painting my room (will post pictures once I move furniture around and make it look more presentable). It took three coats of the red paint, and if there are still any uneven spots, they will get covered with posters or something, because I am so done with painting.

I got to mooch at potlucks for two consecutive nights (not my fault... it was very last minute). The first one was at Tim's (guy who works at AED) house. He lives with three or four women in a group house. It was so cool to walk in and see a bunch of people busy making various dishes in the kitchen. And then more and more people kept showing up, and there was so much food, and such good food.

Then last night, as I was cooking some green beans for myself, Lorin came in the kitchen and started chopping up some mangos. She said she was heading out to a potluck and would I like to come. This one was at another group house--one with five bedrooms and nine occupants (several couples who share rooms). When we walked in, I immediately recognized Valentina from the previous night's potluck, and then in the kitchen Lorin and I were surprised to run into Lu, who interviewed for my current house at the same time I did. A few minutes later, a couple of guys walk in the door, and one of them is Sam, whose apartment I saw on my DC househunting trip. Small, small world. And I've run into three other once-potential housemates at the grocery store, the farmers market, and at AED. Luckily, these encounters have not been at all awkward, which I had feared would be the case. Anyway, this potluck was a little unusual (according to Lorin) because only like three people brought things to eat. But it seemed to be enough. And Lu pulled three vegan chocolate cakes out of the oven, and Darcy made a big bowl of mojitos with fresh mint from the garden, and everyone was happy. Another cool thing about this potluck is that apparently each week they have some sort of a theme. This week's was the Meyers-Briggs personality test. So each person who came in (there were 16 total, I believe) had to sit down at a laptop and take the test, or else just write their type up on the poster if they already knew it. The most common type, interestingly, was ENFJ. ENFJ is not terribly common in the general population, but 7 of the 9 residents of this house share this type. It's a good type, in my opinion. Fun to be around and good at putting others at ease. Most of my friends who have taken the test have turned out to be INFJ (like me) or INTJ. Maybe INxJs gravitate towards engineering, and ENFJs gravitate towards group housing and... potlucks?

But yeah, so even though I haven't actually gotten to cook for one yet, this potluck thing is really fun. I want to host one. At first I was thinking I don't know enough people in DC who know each other, but I don't think that matters. It can be a mishmash of people.

Comments

Popular Posts